Ensure Floor Longevity for Your Home’s Flooring
When you have new flooring put in, it represents a massive investment in your home. Floor longevity is the best way to get the most out of that investment. Whether you have brand new floors, or floors that have seen some years already, do what you can to protect them. In this blog, we’ll look at how to ensure floor longevity for your home’s flooring.
Floor Longevity for Carpet Flooring
To ensure floor longevity for carpet flooring, here are some tips for what you should do:
- Vacuum once a week with a powerful enough unit motor and rotating brushes.
- Shampoo the carpet once or twice per year, treating any spot stains as you need to do.
- Use furniture feet pads to keep deep marking on the carpet from happening.
- Clean up any spills right away.
Don’t do these things:
- Don’t let pets and young children near the carpet.
- You might also want to keep older kids away from the carpet too.
- Don’t overuse steam cleaning, even as useful as it is.
Floor Longevity for Vinyl Flooring
To get the most floor longevity out of your vinyl flooring, do the following:
- Sweeping and vacuuming will help. Also use a dampened mop for routine cleaning.
- Use warm water to help remove stubborn stains.
- Keep water away from the seams of luxury vinyl tile, if you have it.
Don’t do these things:
- When vacuuming, don’t use the deep brushes, as these can scratch and dent the vinyl.
- Also don’t use any harsh chemicals on it, unless you feel like it is time for a total change and an upgrade to hardwood flooring.
Floor Longevity for Hardwood Flooring
In order to make the best of your hardwood flooring and extend its floor longevity, you should:
- Sweep it weekly and use a damp cloth for any dirty spots you may find.
- Again, don’t use a rotating brush if you intend to vacuum.
- Keep wet and dirty shoes off the hardwood.
- Wear slippers or socks when indoors.
- Use protective pads on the feet of furniture.
Don’t do these things, either:
- Use mats with any rubber backing (they’ll only trap moisture).
- Don’t use wax or you’ll get a dulled finish that will trap dirt and dust.
- Use a steam mop – that will only damage the hardwood, causing it to warp or worse.
Ready for a Beautiful Hardwood Floor? You Can Trust John K Eareckson & Co.!
When you work with John K Eareckson & Co. Flooring, we will ensure your hardwood floors undergo a stress-free acclimation process and that they sparkle for years to come. From a seamless and beautiful installation to years of maintenance, John K Eareckson & Co. Flooring has the expertise to care for your home’s hardwood floors. For a consultation and more information visit us online or give us a call at 410-788-4200. You can also follow us on Facebook, Google+, Twitter, YouTube, and Flickr.