Hardwood flooring is one of the most timelessly beautiful things you can have in your home. Whether you are interested in installing new hardwood flooring in your home or looking to take better care of the hardwood flooring that you have now, here is what you should know about protecting hardwood flooring in your home.
A Checklist for Protecting Hardwood Flooring
Ready to take the best possible care of your hardwood flooring? Here is a simple checklist to get you started and keep you going:
- Use rugs at each entrance to your home and doormats on the exterior entrances of your home to keep dirt and grime from getting on your hardwood floors. Dirt and debris can act like sandpaper on your hardwood floors and dull or remove the finish. If they get totally worn down, they will not be protected from moisture anymore and suffer damage even more quickly.
- Buy the best quality hardwood flooring vacuum that you can and regularly vacuum your hardwood flooring. This will remove the remaining dirt, debris, and dust from the surface of your hardwood flooring and stop any damage from occurring.
- Always purchase cleaning supplies that are designed for use on hardwood flooring. If you purchase cleaners designed for tile or other types of flooring, they will damage the finish or make it look hazy. Every time you use the wrong cleaner on your hardwood flooring, you decrease the amount of time until you will need to refinish your flooring.
- Maintain the humidity in your home at a constant level between 35-55% so that gapping and warping don’t occur. Eventually, years from now the gapping or warping will be inevitable, but you can try to put off the warping as long as possible.
- Cover any furniture legs that make direct contact with your flooring. Any chair legs that often touch your flooring can cause a great deal of scratching, so it’s important to do this step immediately after installing your hardwood flooring.
- Don’t wear shoes while inside your home. When you get home, it’s best to just take your shoes off and let them sit by the door for the next time you leave. When your kids come home from practice, particularly for soccer and football, urge them to take their cleats off. Whenever guests come over, have them take their shoes off. This shoes-off policy can minimize the amount of cleaning you will have to do later and can improve the longevity of your floors.
Ready for a Beautiful Hardwood Floor? You Can Trust John K Eareckson & Co.!
When you work with John K Eareckson & Co. Flooring, we will ensure your hardwood floors undergo a stress-free acclimation process and that they sparkle for years to come. From a seamless and beautiful installation to years of maintenance, John K Eareckson & Co. Flooring has the expertise to care for your home’s hardwood floors. For a consultation and more information visit us online or give us a call at 410-788-4200. You can also follow us on Facebook, Google+, Twitter, YouTube, and Flickr.